Thursday 3 December 2015

Translation of Chimamanda Adichie's 'We Should All Be Feminists' to be handed out to every 16-year-old in Sweden


Swedish translation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s 'We Should All be Feminists' titled "All Borde Vara Feminister" and published by Albert Bonniers Förlag was unveiled yesterday, December 2. The text originated as a TEDx talk in 2013 in which Adichie combined her personal experience of growing up in Nigeria with an acute analysis of the complexity of modern feminism. Part of the talk was famously sampled by Beyonce in the song "Flawless".

The book launch was held at Norra Real secondary school in Stockholm, where it was announced that each second grade high school student in Sweden (16 year olds) will receive a copy – with more than 100 000 copies distributed so far. Clara Berglund, chair of the Swedish Women’s Lobby, said:


"This is the book I would have wanted to get for all the guys in my class when I was 16 years old. That is why it is so important that we contribute to this project. It is a gift to all students in grades two, but also a gift to ourselves and to future generations."

Albert Bonnier publisher Johanna Haegerström said:

"Our hope is that the Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie text will open up a conversation about gender and gender roles, starting from young people’s own experiences."

Alla Borde Vara Feminister is published in association with the Swedish Women's Lobby, the United Natition, Swedish Confederation for Professional Employees (TCO), the Swedish Union Confederatuon(LO), Teaspoon,Unizon and Gertrud Astrom.
Adichie sent a special greeting to the schoolchildren:

"For me, feminism is about justice. I’m a feminist because I want to live in a world that is more just. I’m a feminist because I want to live in a world where a woman is never told that she can or cannot or should or should not do anything because she is a woman. I want to live in a world where men and women are happier. Where they are not constrained by gender roles. I want to live in a world where men and women are truly equal. And that’s why I’m a feminist.
"When I was 16 I don’t think I knew what the word ‘feminist’ meant. I don’t think I knew the word at all. But I was a feminist. And I hope that the 16-year-olds that will read this book in Sweden will also decide that they’re feminists.
"Mostly, I hope very soon that one day we will not need to be feminists. Because we will live in a world that is truly just and equal."

Source:Books Live
lindaikejiblog

No comments:

Post a Comment